Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New Dog Dilemma

I have said already that in a few months when I move out of state that I will be getting another pup. I have to wait till I get settled and its killing me to be honest. I have thought long and hard about what I am looking for in my next dog. First off I this time only would like a female dog. The other thing that I struggle with day in and day out is where to get my pup from.
I am looking for certain things that I want in my pup. Things like heavy bone structure, sound temperament, certain color etc. So running off to a good breeder sounds so easy because I can find a breeder that has dogs that have all the traits that I desire. I figure some where with in 100 miles of where you live you can find pretty much what ever you want. The problem I have is I feel obligated to get a shelter dog. I know all to well how many amazing animals there is waiting for some one to take them home in shelters. I love the feeling of saving a life. I might not be able to meet the parents of a shelter dog or know anything about its past. So I go back and forth because there is just to many great dogs that need homes but I also have been dreaming of a certain dog that I have wanted for a long time. I could get really lucky and find the shelter pit bull that has all the traits and characteristics I am looking for, but if I don't then how long do I wait? How many shelters do I check? I really just don't know what to do but I will keep you posted. Leave comments if you have any advice. Thanks

2 comments:

Isaac Orloff Illustration said...

If you look long and hard enough, you can find ANYTHING you want in a shelter dog. just because a dog wasnt found on a street doesnt make it a non rescue. frequently i run into backyard breeders who are getting rid of puppies, and i know all of these dogs will most likely end up being fought, or in shelters. getting a dog that will end up in bad circumstances and giving it a good home i feel is just as good as a rescue. but backyard breeders can produce questionable pups sometime. id say just look long and hard, eventually youll fall in love with the right one.

Unknown said...

Ya know what that is great advice, thanks so much!